1. When doubt promedo. Set a time limits whether it be 5 mins or an hours then when the time is up you can quiet or continues. (Most times you will have the mojo and be just fine.
2. Deadlines are pressure. I have tried the whole work backwards plan time, but I find starting the day you get the assignment is the best and then fine tuning closer to the due date.
3. Block distractions… but be smart. “I learned I could do physics for hours with my ipod on and my study playlist. I also have started putting my phone in my bag when I study, and some hot tea is always a nice push!
4. Batch similar tasks. Checking emails? Email professors with your study questions as well as clear your mail. Reading for class? Read for your other classes that same time!
5. How is your energy. Use a little index card and make note of the times of day you have most energy and also when you are most focused, and also where are most focused!
6. Keep your main surfaces your room clean too. Sometimes for me clutter can be focus killer and just make you want to do other things.
7. Have a cut off time on week days. It helps tune down the intensity of work load as well as keeps your sleeping cycle regular.
8. Take a nap and then study. I did this once and it was actually helpful. Sometimes the cold study rooms makes you a tad sleepy.
9. Think 3 steps ahead. Assess the consequences of holding something off, as well as the urgency of the matter.
10. Ask yourself, “Do I really want to do this?” So often we (especially women) are ruled by the shoulds.
11. Energy management. Not only assess how much time something might take you but also how much energy will be required to carry out the task.